The Pediatric Department at Makassed General Hospital has served neonates, infants, children and adolescents for more than 35 years. The mission of the Department is to maintain and enhance its role as a tertiary referral center that provides excellent, accessible and comprehensive health services, both medical and surgical, to the children of Lebanon and the region.
The vision of the Department is to support the:
• Prevention and treatment of pediatric diseases;
• Provision of superior and accessible pediatric health-care services while maintaining its role as a tertiary referral center for Lebanon and the region;
• Continuation of its effort to remain of the primary centers for pediatric education and research in the region;
• Establishment of strategic partnerships and collaborations locally, regionally, and internationally.
The Department’s comprehensive health services include screening, primary care and outreach programs along with developing subspecialties and centers of excellence. These services have been provided through a number of divisions, including the:
• General Pediatrics Ward, which has served as a tertiary referral center for medical and surgical pediatric cases for Lebanon and the region for 35 years, currently treating around 2,500 infants-to-21-year-olds each year;
• Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, which has treated several hundred premature and sick newborns each year since it was established in the early 1980s;
• Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, which has served and stabilized critically ill children from the region since it was established in 2000;
• Pediatric Hemato-Oncology Unit, which treats around 650 pediatric patients who suffer from cancer and blood diseases each year;
• Newborn Nursery, which provides well-baby care for newborns and their mothers;
• Pediatric Emergency Department, which is open 24/7 and is staffed by pediatric physicians and nurses;
• Pediatric Outpatient Department, which offers treatment in a wide range of specializations for around 2,400 infants, children and youth each year.
Residency and Fellowship Program
The MGH Pediatric Department is affiliated with the American University of Beirut Medical Center (AUBMC). The mission of this affiliation is to maintain and enhance world-class training for residents, fellows and house staffs in clinical and basic science research in the pediatric field, while serving as a resource for the community in issues of child health.
Residents rotate through all pediatric services, culminating with a fourth year in which the resident assumes administrative and leadership roles within the program. Subsequently, the residency program offers the opportunity for post-doctoral fellowships in neonatology and Pediatric Hematology/oncology affiliation with Lille II University Hospital and Beirut Arab University.