Timeline

2016

Today, MGH is a 200 patient-bed facility in a six-story building with additional buildings housing the private clinics, Medical Laboratory Services, Renal Dialysis Unit, and other specialized medical services. The medical team consists of 286 specialized physicians and 240 nurses.

1997

MGH established the Hematology-Oncology and BMT (Bone Marrow Transplant) Center for patients with hematological (blood related) and oncological (cancer) diseases. The first successful bone marrow transplant in Lebanon was performed at MGH in 1997.

1975 - 1990

MGH evolved into a major teaching hospital in Lebanon. 

1949

The hospital building was expanded to five floors and its name was changed to Makassed General hospital. 

1948

A women’s Committee under the leadership of Mrs. Faiza El Solh was established to oversee hospital operations. Mrs. El Solh contributed to the expansion of the hospital facility and its medical services.
The hospital played a major role in treating casualties from war in Palestine.
More funds were secured to continue the expansion of the hospital.